Thursday, October 7, 2010

Unobtrusive Research

Unobtrusive research allows researchers to analyze things from a distance which allows the process to be uninfluenced by the researchers themselves. This minimizes the number of threats to the validity of the researched information. Analyzing available information, records, behaviors, characteristics and events is a common act of unobtrusive research. Social media provide us with the unique ability to gain great insight into peoples’ lives without prodding them for information through constant questioning. According to the nielson wire, social media platforms dominate Americans’ time spent online, which proves its popularity and the great importance Americans place on social media. With Americans spending roughly a third of their time online communicating across social networks, don’t you think we should take notice of what they’re saying?!
Through viewing peoples’ social media profiles, for example someone’s facebook profile, we can gauge many things about them – their birthdays (and therefore their age), their gender, their education level (if stated, which it most often is), their religion and their relationship status. Not only do we learn these basic statistics about people, we also gain insight into their thoughts and actions. For example, one of my facebook friends Morgan* updated her status to say “its fine York Hill shuttle. I don't have a job or homework or any sort of life I have to get on with. Actually, I like waiting at the shuttle stop all day” expressing her frustration over the York Hill shuttle situation. If I was researching information on the successfulness of the Quinnipiac shuttle system, I would most definitely take this information into account (with Morgan being completely unaware of my withdrawal of information from her).
Through viewing someone’s profile on a social media platform we gain a slice of their life, without them even knowing. We are able to gather information on a wide variety of issues without actually speaking to anyone. For example, if I am looking to buy a car, if one of my facebook friends posts that they are having trouble with their car (brand X), I will use that information and most likely not buy brand X car. If I see Meredith* just updated her status to say, “just discovered that changing in a car isn't nearly as easy as changing in an SUV. I sold my explorer but took for granted my tinted windows and how high off the ground it was” I will keep in mind these factors when I purchase a car (tinted windows =’s practical!)


No comments:

Post a Comment