Thursday, October 28, 2010

Commenting on my classmates' blogs

I always love being assigned  to analyze my peer's blogs. I enjoying seeing how they set out their ideas and the examples they choose to include to represent their key points.
I think my classmate Jordana Carideo did a great job of summarizing the multi-faceted definition and purposes of a survey. Jordana made very important points, such as: researchers need to protect the anonymity of respondents, and each questionnaire must be pre-tested to confirm the accuracy of the questioning format. I like how she set these points out as bullet points which made them easy to follow. Jordana did a great job focusing in on how her selected organization (the American Cancer Society) makes use of surveys; I never knew the American Cancer Society conducts a survey for every single cancer prevention study!     
I really enjoyed reading my classmate Steph Ferris’s blog on qualitative research. Her blog post pointed out that blogging is a “new and exciting frontier for social research” which should be embraced. Her comparison between blogs and diaries was thought-provoking– it is amazing to think about the progression people have made from pouring their hearts out into physical, locked diaries that are kept secret towards rather spewing their feelings out across the blogosphere for all to read. This evolution has been great for qualitative researchers who are now more easily able to gain great depth and insight from individuals by reading their blogs. I thought it was great how Steph concluded her blog post by saying “blogging and qualitative research are a match made in cyberspace heaven.”  

No comments:

Post a Comment